After calling out McDonald’s drive-thru workers for being rude to them while ordering, a couple’s young son took a sip of his milkshake and his mouth started to burn, leading the couple to a horrifying discovery.
The incident occurred when Jon Hansen and his partner, Jennifer Cameron, brought their four children to the McDonald’s in Buckingham, Quebec and tried to order food at the drive-thru, a petition on Change.org says. The French-speaking employees apparently took issue with Hansen ordering his food in English, and the employees were overheard by Cameron, who is fluent in French, making fun of her partner.
“Jennifer, who although being English can speak French, heard them make fun of my ordering in English and speaking in French said to them, we can hear what you are saying. The McDonald’s staff went silent,” Hansen said.
Hansen completed his order, then said after paying for his order, they waited nearly 10 minutes to receive it at the second window and immediately noticed issues with it. The fried were cold and soggy, and the ice cream was melted, so Hansen asked them for replacements, which they received.
“Before we had left the restaurant’s parking lot our 5-year-old son after drinking his shake said that it tasted funny. While the other two shakes tasted fine, when I took a sip of his shake it tasted what I described as being Pine-Sol. Almost immediately, my tongue started to burn,” Hansen said.
Cameron also tasted the shake, and she experienced the same burning sensation, so Hansen went inside to confront the manager. He demanded to know what was in the shake, asking the manager to taste it for herself, but she refused and offered him a replacement.
During the discussion, Cameron has sampled another shake from the machine and the syrup used to make them, both were fine. But as this was happening, she saw what appeared to be a bottle of blue cleaning solution sitting right next to the machine, which was likely the source of the foul taste and burning sensation in their shake.
Soon after spotting the cleaner, the couple rushed their son to the hospital and called poison control. The young boy had intense stomach pain for the next two days, and Hansen said that his tongue didn’t stop burning until almost midnight that night. To this day, they claim the boy still suffers from ingesting whatever was in his drink, such as the inability to gain weight and differing tastes. Hansen worries he’ll have future complications as well, according to Metro News.
Fast forward to now. The couple has been in a drawn-out settlement process with McDonald’s, who tested the shake and now refuses to tell them what was in it, even though Hansen wants to know so he knows what to expect with his son. They say that McDonald’s has offered settlements up to $50,000, but they will only admit there was “trace amounts” of a “store-related compound” in the shake.
Hansen’s petition is to pressure the company into releasing the report which identified the compound to them, and so far it’s garnered over 22,000 signatures.
“Once again, McDonald’s just doesn’t seem to get it. We want to know what our young child ingested. Please help us to get the test results. There is no reason why a responsible corporation that professes to care about families should have withheld this information from us for close to one year.”
Indeed. I personally believe that the couple has the right to know what was ingested. In this particular case, a lawsuit is fully warranted. Someone from one of their stores literally attempted to poison them with some sort of cleaner after being called out for being rude, yet it appears as if McDonald’s wants to take zero responsibility for what happened.